The Hands Off Campaign Reaches Nearly 1 Million People

The Hands Off Campaign has reached nearly 1,000,000 people on social media, with thousands of Victorians showing support by sharing the campaign across their own networks.

The collaborative initiative between Crime Stoppers, Victoria Police and Public Transport Victoria calls on the Victorian community to help identify alleged offenders of sexual offences committed on public transport by reporting information to Crime Stoppers.

Information received from the community has already provided some fantastic results, leading to alleged offenders being identified and contributing further leads in other investigations.

The public call-out against crime is now in its second and final week, with Crime Stoppers releasing the images and details of a further five men police want to speak to in relation to sexual offending on or in the vicinity of public transport in Melbourne.

Victoria Police Inspector Karl Curran, of the Transit Safety Division, said information received as part of The Hands Off Campaign had advanced police investigations.

“We have received information from the community regarding many of the unsolved cases released as part of this campaign which is a fantastic result and we’re extremely grateful,” he said.

“Our detectives are continuing to review this information provided to us through Crime Stoppers, which has already led to three alleged offenders being identified and located with new leads being generated.

“Please review the next five images being released today and report anything you know to Crime Stoppers confidentially on 1800 333 000, via the Crime Stoppers website at crimestoppersvic.com.au or the Crime Stoppers app.

“If your image is released, we urge you to make yourself known to police immediately.”

Crime Stoppers Victoria General Manager Cathy Rhodes said the successes achieved through The Hands Off Campaign were thanks to the community’s on-going support.

“The dedication of the Victorian community to help solve crime never ceases to amaze us at Crime Stoppers,” she said.

“Not only has the community provided information to assist with police investigations, but thousands of members of the public have provided vital support to the campaign by sharing it as far and wide as possible across their own networks and social media channels, enabling the campaign to reach nearly 1,000,000 people on social media during week one.

“This is a fantastic community effort and we’re extremely grateful to everyone who has supported the campaign so far.

“As we enter the second and final week of this important campaign to make our public transport system even safer, we ask that all Victorians continue to support and share it, and report anything they know to Crime Stoppers entirely confidentially.”

The Hands Off Campaign will run between Monday October 23 and Sunday November 5 across Victoria.

To view the images being released please visit the Crime Stoppers Victoria website – crimestoppersvic.com.au – or via our Facebook page @CrimeStoppersVic – or our Twitter page @CrimeStopperVic

If you have been a victim of sexual offence, please call Triple Zero or your local police station. Advice and support is also available at 1800 RESPECT or 1800respect.org.au

For more information as to what constitutes a sexual assault visit our website here.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now

×